Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that 1 in 5 orthodontic patients is over the age of 21. Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too.
Common reasons why adults consider orthodontic treatment:
• A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
• Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
• Abnormal jaw pain, or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
• Difficulty with brushing and flossing due to the position of the teeth
• Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment options for adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs.
Types of braces include:
• Ceramic braces (Clear braces)
• Gold braces
• Traditional metal braces
• Invisible braces (Clear aligners)
Is there a difference between getting orthodontic treatment as an adult vs as a child or teenager?
The main difference is that for younger patients, the jawbones are still developing which helps correct any issues with the jaw or face while things are still growing and forming. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may mean the possibility of orthognathic surgery to align the jawbones.
Other differences include:
• Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease): Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease because it’s easier to keep your teeth clean.
• Worn or missing teeth: Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
• Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen: Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment, or did not wear their retainers faithfully causing the teeth to shift back to the “crooked” position. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
Straight teeth are healthy teeth: Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing and may help prevent other health problems.
A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence: Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
Mouths left untreated can get worse: Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
If you are ready to start your smile perfection journey, we have two great consultation options available for you. Start the process from the comforts your home by scheduling a virtual consultation. Or you can come visit one of our conveniently located offices by scheduling a complimentary consultation online today!